** IMPORTANT REMINDER for Seniors!
In order to receive your Say Yes Cleveland scholarship, there are two remaining steps that you MUST complete this summer before enrolling in the fall.
- YOU MUST ATTEND A VIRTUAL SUMMER SESSION with College Now advising staff to help you estimate your scholarship and understand what your scholarship does and doesn’t cover. Sessions are available from June 1, 2020 – July 31, 2020. Book a College Now session by clicking here.
- Prior to your session, please submit a copy or screen capture of your financial aid award letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the day before your scheduled session. Failure to do so will result in your session being cancelled.
We are excited for you and your plans to pursue a college or certificate program after high school.
If you have not completed the online Say Yes scholarship form, click here to do it now.
You also must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
If you need assistance with the above steps, please contact your high school counselor or College Now adviser.
What should I do next?
Log into the Say Yes certification system and look on your student dashboard to see if you are eligible for the Say Yes Cleveland scholarship.
If you are eligible, your status will appear as “tentatively eligible” until you graduate. In the meantime,
- Change your enrollment status in the “School Interest” tab to “yes” for the college or university you plan to attend,
- Complete your FAFSA and any verification process requested by the college/university,
- Complete a Student Aid Report (SAR) from www.fafsa.gov
- Participate in a mentor orientation with College Now and complete the mentoring program application. Scroll down for more details about mentoring.
I have the “tentatively eligible” status, but my college’s financial aid letter does not include the Say Yes tuition scholarship. What should I do?
Given the Say Yes Cleveland scholarship program was only announced in mid-January, many colleges and universities were unable to list Say Yes award amounts in student financial aid packages.
Your estimated Say Yes tuition scholarship amount will be calculated in summer 2019. At that time, your college or university will begin to include it in your financial aid package.
However, please make sure your college or university is aware you are eligible for a Say Yes Cleveland tuition scholarship. By late May, colleges and universities can confirm your Say Yes scholarship eligibility online.
NOTE: If the college or university’s financial aid office would like written confirmation of your eligibility, please contact your high school counselor to provide one.
I’m eligible for other aid and scholarships. How do I make sure they are applied to non-tuition expenses?
Your college or university should apply your Say Yes tuition scholarship after federal Pell grant, Ohio College Opportunity Grant (OCOG) and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) money.
Then, the college should apply institutional aid* and outside scholarship awards to your remaining bill.
*If you receive institutional merit- or need-based aid designated for tuition and fees at the college/university, please contact the financial aid office. Ask for that money to be applied total cost of attendance.
When will my college or university receive my Say Yes scholarship money?
Scholarship money will be disbursed to the college or university in the fall – after classes start. If you have any problems regarding scholarship payment, please contact the Say Yes Scholarship Hotline: SayYesScholarship@CollegeNowGC.org or 216.454.5400.
What do I need to do about the mentoring program?
All Say Yes Cleveland scholarship recipients are being matched with mentors through College Now’s Mentoring Program. You’ll be matched with a Cleveland-area resident who has earned a college degree and wants to answer questions, offer support, and help you reach graduation!
You and your mentor will communicate online twice a month, and meet or video chat a couple times a year throughout your college career.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO TODAY ABOUT THE MENTOR PROGRAM:
If students have questions or need assistance with the above, they should contact Anna Walley at email@example.com, and please click here to download a handy checklist of Mentoring Program steps.
If you have questions about your Say Yes scholarship or the mentor program, please contact the Say Yes Scholarship Hotline: SayYesScholarship@CollegeNowGC.org or 216.454.5400.